Tuesday, September 03, 2019

She's all snug now

I am completely finished Elaine's Snuggies, as they are called in the pattern book, or knickers, long underwear, pantalettes... Woolly underthings from the 1940s.

I knit a leg, almost ran out of yarn. So I went and bought another skein of yellow yarn: same brand, same shop, yellow. But, I remember thinking I was knitting "butter" yellow, and the label on the second skein definitely said "lemon." It wasn't till I was looking at these pictures that I realized they are in fact quite different!


I also knit a gusset. There are no instructions as to how to fit it all together, but the legs get a bit wider, and then a bit narrower, and I just figured out how I thought it should work.

back view
I can understand how the idea of the misshapen knitwear would come about. If you didn't know how to sew the gusset in, you could certainly make a funny-looking pair of drawers.

front view



Today was spent making a long cord for the waist, since I don't have tiny elastic to fit through little yarnover holes, and there is no sizing information given in the pattern. I suspect she can gain her Freshman 15 and not worry about these fitting.


I think she will wear these over leggings or tights, perhaps under a skirt. I will ask her for a modelled shot; we shall see. I have to mail them away to her!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely drawers! Very fancy knitting, and I like the cord at the waist. I hope she loves them. I liked the flowery scarf, too.
    Have fun on your Cambridge trip. I hope we get lots of posts. I can hardly wait for November.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.