Wednesday, May 27, 2020

More than three things I am using these days

Surprise, a post on a Wednesday!

It is too hot to knit, so I am spending a lot of time on the slides lamp shade.

Here's how it is done.

Go through the huge bag of slides and find different sorts.


I don't care what the picture is (though I originally was doing blue pictures: mountains and sky and seascapes) but look at all the different frames they have.


Step two, and the one I so often forget about, is put a bit of white paper on the back. This diffuses the light so that you don't get little lightbulbs in the middle of your picture. So, I cut paper, tape it down.


Then we get the hole punch. This is probably for scrapbooking or some delicate craft like that, and now every time I use it I think it is going to break.


I have 80 more slides, four holes on each, left to do. So, fingers crossed. I have recently discovered the slides that have blue frames and I want to include them, but they are a tiny bit thicker than usual and Mr Hole Punch has a hard time with them. Saving them for last, I guess!

Another thing to note is that it is hard to make the holes in the same place all the time. This leads to wobbly lines of slides. Precision is your friend, but perhaps too much work!


The slides are attached with 12 mm jump rings. Some, actually, use 10 mm rings, but that is a mistake and if I could do it all again, I would have bought a million rings at the beginning, instead of a wee bag of 50, and then another bag which turned out to be not the same. My recent purchase of 400 rings turns out to have been barely sufficient, so the few remaining 10 mm rings might just get called in to action.


The pliers are indispensable here. My lefthand fingers are kind of wrecked from holding the ring, and I wish I had two pairs of pliers!

The end, almost.

I hope to have run out of rings in a few days, and then we'll say this is complete!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a patient person you are! Aren't you glad you said you'd take the family slides!? (I hope you've tossed the boring ones of conferences and such.) Great project for ataying inside, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.