Thursday, May 21, 2020

Three things on Thursday

Baking.

When last we spoke I was about to go make some cinnamon buns. That didn't work and I will tell you why! It's because I put all the ingredients into the bread machine, pressed the button and let it do its thing.

Unfortunately, I pressed the button for "French bread" rather than for "dough." When I realized my mistake, I didn't know when I could stop it, was it mixed enough, had it started cooking it, what oh what to do? I left it to cook my sweet dough into something like French bread, and of course it was eatable, but not a batch of cinnamon buns!


Since then I did make a lovely chocolate coffeecake, but I have not ventured into bun territory again. My 5-kilo bag of flour is actually almost empty now, too!

Knitting.

Um... I guess I have been just working away at the baby blanket, which maybe I haven't told you about. It is getting to the boring stage, after the frustrating stage and the no-problem stage.


It's a 1989 pullover pattern from Vogue Knitting, just knits and purls arranged to look sort of plaid.

I think the baby will love it, especially if I soldier on and make it a decent size, instead of finishing it off now because it's beginning to bother me. (That picture is old; I have at least twice that length now.) I have another ball of the green, and the gold for a border, so it will be great, don't you worry.

I've also been swapping old patterns for new. Someone on Ravelry wanted menswear patterns, so I sent her a bunch, including my 2002 Vogue Knitting men's special issue. She, in return, sent me three electronic patterns, for fingerless mitts, for a big sweater and for a Stephen West shawl!

Someone else wanted doll's clothes patterns, so off went two booklets. She is stuck in some paypal limbo but I expect a little something from her as well.


I am reminded that I have this beautiful green laceweight yarn that I bought in Vancouver, just waiting to be made into something, perhaps a light and lovely cardigan for me. We'll see what comes of that!

Sitting around.

We do a lot of nothing. I have watched so many second-rate movies on Netflix! I have watched all the Murdoch Mysteries available.


I have got out my 9-year-old slides lamp project! Now I am waiting for more jump rings to arrive in the mail from my favourite bead shop so I can continue with that.


And so we continue with our lockdown lives. I have just learned that the second neighbourhood supermarket has closed for cleaning for the day because someone on staff has tested positive. Lucky we have a freezer and cupboards full of stuff, even if I will run out of flour in a week or so! And I did want some green onions... Ah, we will manage for a day or two! And while I was writing this, my jump rings arrived in the mail, so I can crack on with my lamp.

It is the best of all possible worlds, obviously.

1 comment:

  1. The baby blanket looks like it's going to be lovely. Is there a specific baby in mind?
    The green yarn looks like it will turn into a pretty sweater in just your colour.
    And why are jump rings called that? IS that how you stick the slides together?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.