Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Compare and contrast

I LOL'd when I saw Wibbo's post today.

She has a beautiful bushy avocado plant that she grew from a pit.

I, too, have an avocado plant. This came from pit number 35 or so... I balance the pits in cups of water with toothpicks, and then, usually after weeks and weeks with nothing happening, throw them out. But!

[as always, click for bigger thrills]

Finally, one sprouted! It grew up and up and up, until I pinched off the top of it, to make it branch a teeny bit.


It is a sorry looking thing, but I did grow it from a baby, and so I have to now take care of it, and I haven't tried to sprout another. But now that I see Wibbo's, grown from a pit put in some dirt and stuck in a window, I might just try again!

I am happier with two other plants: the Christmas cactus


which I ignore for most of the year and then water like heck come October; and the amaryllis


which I just bought as a bulb this winter. I have two others which have given gorgeous flowers in the past, but now might put out a leaf or two. This is supposed to be orangey, so it will clash nicely with the Christmas cactus!

2 comments:

  1. Ha!! Your one's a little, er, leggier than mine ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm just impressed with how tall your avocado plant is!
    i always seem to neglect my plants to death... except cacti. somehow i manage to *over* water those....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.