Sunday, October 08, 2023

Festival roundup 2023

I am home from my last VIFF movie. It was Pot au Feu, originally titled La Passion de Dodin Bouffant, a movie about cooking and food and passion and love and more cooking. To honour it, a teeny bit, I fried some shallots with my frozen hamburger patty for dinner. This was partly to clean out the fridge -- those shallots had been there all week, waiting for me to find a moment to eat at home!

Movies I saw this festival: 

  • Swan Song
  • Mr Dressup
  • I'm Only Here for the Riot
  • Old Oak
  • Octopus Skin
  • Il Boeme
  • Pot au Feu
  • Winter Chants
  • The Promised Land
Octopus Skin was kind of weird; one had questions. I saw it because I was ushering, and actually had to dip out at the very end, so the big question is whether any of the questions were answered. I suspect not. Winter Chants was probably better than I thought, but I found myself nodding off! 

Il Boeme was full of opera, singing, Italian sights and sounds. We learn at the very beginning that our hero dies of syphilis; which of the beautiful women in (or out of) their wonderful period costumes gives it to him? 

I kept bumping into people in the lineups. That's one of the great things about a film festival -- talking to people in line! I know a few co-volunteers, but I seemed to come across them all the time. And they knew the person behind them or someone passing by... I got a lot of recommendations for even more films. I can't do the 2 or 3-a-day, especially since Stephen was out of town these last few days. No one but me to come up with something to eat at the end of the day! But I am happy with my first VIFF; looking forward to many more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.