Saturday, February 25, 2017

I took hundreds of pictures

The Honest Ed's farewell party was amazing. They even called part of it aMAZEment. Truly a blast. Here are just a bunch of pictures of the building and the art.

I am stunned at how clever and witty and resourceful these artists and organizers are. Just wonderful. I'm glad I saw most of it on Friday because there was room to move. I looked in at the Marketplace today and it was jam-packed. There is still time to volunteer Sunday as it closes down for good, but I don't think I'll manage that. I'm so glad I was involved -- even a wee bit -- though.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Eye candy Friday

I've mentioned the Honest Ed's store before, I think. It has closed and is going to be demolished soon, to be replaced with residential towers and a bit of retail.

This weekend a big party is happening there in the empty building. I am doing a bit of volunteering, mainly because I wanted to see how it all works out! I have done a shift of smashing tables and carrying nail-filled plywood, to make the space usable for party-goers; I scrubbed gunk off mirrors and swept floors; and I'm doing some community activities today and tomorrow. I'll report in when it's all done.

They've got the lights back on! Of course, burned out bulbs have not been replaced in some time.

These balls were just lying there, being pretty, in one of the Honest Ed's spaces. I took this while things were still being set up; perhaps it is part of some larger art piece, or perhaps they are just gewgaws. Bonus artist's reflection in the shiny ones!

And a frame outside. Painted over several times. Just a bit odd. I like it.

Thursday, February 23, 2017


Your Think Write Thursday prompt for February 23, 2017 is to write about the movie you can quote from the most. ... What's that movie, the one that once you start quoting from (probably with your friends) and you just can't stop? 


I see lots of movies, but mostly documentaries these days. We have been TV-less since 1981 (except for a few months around when the Berlin Wall came down) so we don't watch the Grinch every Christmas or any other late-night movie reruns.

Stephen and I have watched lots of movies together in the past, but there isn't a special movie we quote to each other. Maybe African Queen? "Well, do so, Mr Allnut." Yes, that must be the family movie quote.

Die Hard has some familiar moments, but there are no conversations I can repeat.

Sound of Music is certainly one that I know all the words to!

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

To see what other people quote, look here.

Friday, February 17, 2017

Eye candy

Just some nice oranges for you today.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Think Write Thursday

What are you procrastinating about? And why? And, finally, how are you going to address it?

There are the obvious things we deal with on this blog: how many half-knitted sweaters are lying around the house? Gazillions. The oldest work-in-progress project on Ravelry is from 2011... six years ago!

I have a few half-knit sweaters around. And how many sweaters do I wear regularly, out of all the sweaters I have knit over the years? Zero. They come out once in a while, especially in the spring and fall, when I wear them outside, but really, I do not need another sweater. (This can't be the only reason I don't finish them. It's unlikely I need any more shawls, either, and I can churn them out!)

One day, I will address this. I will get my bags and ziplocs and plastic bins and look at what's in them and do something. I can think of some frogging I might do.

But, you know, I'm busy these days! So things like making decisions about my handiwork get pushed aside.

Sometime in March?

You can read about other procrastinators over at Carole's blog.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

February's vintage accessory

Voilà, a tea cosy! It is a bit large for the pot. 

It has a pompom, which I made with my neighbour's fancy-pants pompom-maker. It does keep the strands from going all over the place in the all-important "tie together" step of the process, so that is good. The fact that the pompom is a bit small and sparse is my fault; next time I will use more yarn! 

Nice texture! Squishy and thick. I'd be happier if it was closer to the right size, but I do like it a lot.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Eye Candy Friday

These chairs are in a top secret location. I think I am actually breaking the rules by showing them to you. I spent Thursday afternoon moving them into position, as well as carrying splintery wood, plywood with nails sticking out, plants that need watering, lost umbrellas and much more. All for the sake of art, I think.