Sunday, February 12, 2006

At the Olympic bobsled track

"Bob!"

"Dick! We've come to the bobsled track to catch up with our favourite Olympic athlete, Mary de B. It seems there's been a bit of an accident here, Dick."

"Bob, she took that first turn a bit fast and wobbled, worried that she would run out of yarn. She seemed to recover from that, but now she's skillfully stopped the sled altogether and is just sitting on the track with her head between her knees! Something's wrong here, Bob."

"Dick, I think we'd better go see what's up.... Mary, you're stopped."

"Oh, Bob, Dick... I took a bit of a spill. I think I might just be out of the running for a medal here. I can't go on with this..."

"What seems to be the trouble? Is it the amount of yarn?"

"Well, Bob. There are a number of factors. First, I guess my training had some gaps in it, and I think now I should have researched my options for a lace pattern a bit better, because, well, this isn't working. I have the flattering vertical lines, but because of the shortage of yarn, I have to use all my colours, and that means putting in the Charlie Brown horizontal stripes. And it's not going to fit right, and in order to change sizes in a pattern like this, I'd have to add a whole 13-stitch panel to each side, which would not just add a bit of extra room, but 6 inches, and not to mention the extra yarn."

"But, is there nothing you can do? You were zooming along pretty well, can't you just... do something?"

"Well, Bob. I really wanted an all-green, flattering vertical lines, round necked thing, and that just won't come to be. I've thought of everything -- keep going, then steadily decrease at the top like for a hat, turn it upside down, felt it, and get a bag! Or increase up the side seams, but I just don't want the coloured stripes. I thought of changing the whole design, but the fact remains that the yardage is skimpy. My latest idea is to embrace Eddie the Eagle, and continue to make something as excellently as I can, but it just won't be the same thing as I said I'd make. I have a smaller person in mind, and I could make a nice knitted vest for her, or I might keep my zigzaggy lines and make a shawl. I just need a moment...."

"Well, Mary, let's get up off this icy track and get you back to the chalet for a hot chocolate with kahlua, and you'll be able to think more clearly then. ... We'll bring you more news from Mary, if she ever makes up her mind, folks."

"She needs a lucky loonie, Bob!"

3 comments:

  1. Oh :-( And it looked so pretty on Friday. But frankly there's no point battling on with something you're not going to love just because a whole bunch of other nutters have no common sense. I'll bet you come up with something wonderful and successful to do with it though - take your moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fly girl, fly! Make Eddie proud. At least you'll land with sense of humour in tact!
    Toronto is pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I know what a Lucky Looney is or I'd think it was you. Good decision on the striping issue. Elegance and grace, a la Michelle Kwan. xox Kay

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.