Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Hare and the Tortoise

Elaine is all Weasley'd up! Arthur's is coming along. (The sleeve you can't see is actually completed!) But you know the story of the Hare and the Tortoise? They are racing, and the hare gets almost to the finish line, miles ahead of the tortoise, and decides to have a little nap under the hedge, and get to the finish line in a while. Well, I am sort of doing that with these sweaters. I know they'll both be finished shortly, and I'm sick of acres of dark wool tweed stocking stitch, so I just cast on a little soft pink wool to try out a pattern for a scarf (supposed to be my March Project Spectrum project), and then, after reading about the possibility of Manos pilling and felting itself at Alison's, I had an uncontrollable urge to cast on my Debbie Bliss Maya, which is the same stuff as Manos, isn't it?
First it was going to be the circular bottom of a bag I would felt, and then it was the circular side of a bag, kinda like this one, and then I decided I just had to make it as big as I can, so it's a lap-rug. And really, it's an octagon, not a circle. I have 3 skeins, two dark green and this one, so we'll see how big it will end up! What you see here is about half the first green skein -- there was a knot in the wool, so I figured it was a fine place to change colours.
Olympic news: I was too early with my Weasley sweaters! If only I'd waited and made them for the Olympics, I could have joined these guys.
The first task is knitting!
Yarnguy 716 made these buttons for Team Potter.
You can find out all about the various sub-groups at Kat with a K's page.

And here's the schedule for my opening Olympic weekend:
2 pm Friday, cast on. 3 pm, go get the kids from school, make dinner etc. 7 pm, pub knitting.
Saturday -- have a kid birthday party, knitting in between rounds of pass the parcel.
Sunday -- realise we are going away for a week the next day. Pack, with bits of knitting here and there.
Monday, ride a few trains, knitting as I go... Then, who knows...
I think I will have to take the Tortoise's method here, and just plug away slowly and steadily, like for 15 minutes at 3 am each day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh - I just daren't try to schedule my Olympic knitting - it's going to be something like:
    Friday:
    2pm - cast on, knit like fury "No, Mummy can't help now, I'm knitting"
    7pm - pub knitting
    Saturday:
    "Is anyone bleeding? No? Well I'm knitting, leave me alone"
    Sunday: Repeat Saturday
    Monday: Repeat Sunday
    etc.

    If I try to work out how much I should achieve each day I'll only panic, so I'm not going to!

    See you Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really start, beyond the cast-on, until the 17th, and I have 832m of yarn to knit up; so I'm not doing the sums either. But will see you in the pub on Friday.

    If Manos is the same as Maya, or vice versa, it felts beautifully...

    ReplyDelete
  3. does Stephen get a Weasley also?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary M,
    No.

    xoxo
    Mary de B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love Elaine's Weasley! I don't think I've seem a picture of her before; she looks so like you!! Apparently my Noro patterns arrived this lunchtime, so I might have picked out a pattern in time for the Olympic cast-on tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.