Wednesday, March 04, 2020

A weekend away

This past weekend some friends from Toronto came out to the Wet Coast to see the sights, so we very generously invited them (and ourselves) to my brother's house on Salt Spring Island! Aren't we nice?

For the ferry ride over to Victoria the weather was perfect and I was pretty chuffed that our friends would see our best side.


We stopped off at Stephen's sister's house for one night as our friends were flying in at 11 pm. I love these white-edged African violets. I've never had much luck with them, but in my dream home with big windows, one day I might try again.


We all met for breakfast and our birder friends and our birder relatives bonded over Eurasian skylarks. The best place to see a skylark here is apparently the edges of the Victoria airport, and we did see some, but our Dave was trying to get a sound recording and the flying school's little planes were taking off at just the wrong time. So we did see the birds, but didn't get any proof because they fly by really fast and we couldn't really hear them over all the other noise.

We took the little ferry to Salt Spring Island. Since it was just early afternoon, we took a wee trip to Ruckle Park, best place ever. The sun was disappearing, but we saw tons of birds, an otter, so much pretty moss... no orcas happened to be passing by, though. Dave got a good picture of the otter, but he also had a way better camera than anyone else!


I prefer things that don't zip out of the frame... Got these great logs the next day!


We went to the Fernwood Cafe, at the north end of the island and wandered along the beach near there.


Pretty shells, great wood, nice trees... Who cares if the light is a bit gloomy?


After lunch in town, we went to Burgoyne Bay, where Dave hoped to find a sapsucker. Another disappointment, I'm afraid. I was delighted to see a bald eagle in a tree, but that is old hat for some.


And, look, some great lichen!



It was a chilly day, so when we got back to the house, I had a warm shower and put on this gorgeous sweater I found in the closet. It's the one I made for John's 50th birthday some 12 years ago! Photobomb by Katie!


Tuesday morning was clear and for some crazy reason I was up early enough to see the sunrise.


Katie and Dave went off on a noon ferry back to Vancouver Island and we stuck around for a few hours till our ferry back to the city. We saw the daffodils as we were investigating some dandy real estate.



A rather gloomier ferry ride back to civilization this time. One day I would love to make a sea/sky blanket with all these pictures. I do love a horizon!


Now we are back in the big city, on another perfect spring day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.