Monday, March 16, 2020

Hoo boy

Nine days ago I made a list.

Not gonna work, folks. Let's review.

It's my birthday soon! I am 35, I think. Or maybe 60. Who knows? I hope to take a bunch of people out to brunch. 


I did have a birthday, and I did go out with friends. A bunch of old folks, like me, and we had brunch in a restaurant and went for a walk on the beach later. Very nice. But the restaurant was less than half full, and we all elbow-bumped and air-kissed. Not business as usual. 

We'll have another visitor to stay for a night or two, I imagine. 

Our visitor-to-be woke up with a sore throat one day and is not coming. 

Oh, we're going to Whistler! I haven't skied for 30 years or so. (Hmm, maybe I am older than 35.) We have reservations for a couple of dinners already, because we stupidly booked our holiday during the schools' March break.

Yeah, the mountain is closed. They haven't announced yet what will happen the last week of March, which is when we were going, but things are going to get worse before they get better and I am cancelling my dinner reservations there. We hadn't paid for the hotel, but we will lose the price of the bus ride up there. C'est la vie

I will finish the multicoloured sweater. I am just working on the collar, and I'm hoping to have it done in a week. Surely I can do that. 

I didn't get the sweater done in time to wear it to my party, but it is done now!
Success!



When I do that, I will start work on some mittens, which were really started something like five years ago. That will be pretty exciting. 


Yes, very exciting! Almost done one mitten, which I now realize has a big old mistake in it. Spot the error.


I am going to Fibres West. I have two friends here who are going. 

No, cancelled! I did go over to my friend's house and see her spinning wheel and her stash of fleece and fabric and everything! We have a dyeing day planned, but who knows what will happen with that. I also went down to my LYS here and bought a few balls of lovely green laceweight yarn, just to make up for no festival.



More flowers will come out, and I will take pictures of them. 

Success!


I will pay for my holiday this May in Norfolk, England. I am pretty sure that the windswept beaches of Norfolk will be safe from whatever viruses are out there, and I hope the planes and trains are okay, too. I have only paid a deposit, but soon have to pay for the rest. 

Cancelled, by my friends and me... We are still negotiating about rebooking fees, but we might rebook for same time next year, or we might have to just bail. No word on refunding airline tickets yet, I think I have lost a few hundred dollars on a hotel in London and a train ticket I very prudently bought in advance.

Before the end of the month, Hot Docs will release all the info about this year's festival. I will likely volunteer at the school program again, but now I will be 60 (could that be right?) and so get free tickets to daytime screenings. So many movies! (People come from all over the world for this festival, so let's hope things are okay. Early May, prime time for epidemics.) 

Ah, postponed. Till when, no one knows. The cinema is closed and the festival will not take place this spring.

I will not be panic buying; I will be going out to eat and drink and swim and see things; I will wash my hands as I sing a chorus of Jolene or maybe Love is All Around

We have not been panic buying, so that is good. We have been going out to eat and drink and see things, so that is good. I went for a swim this morning, and by the time I had finished lunch, the city had announced they are closing everything.

And that, surely, is enough. 

 Surely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.