Friday, March 06, 2020

Tour of the old hood

It looks like I'm not going to make a to-do list for March just yet. It was so lovely and sunny today that I have lots of other things to show you.

So busy! This morning I went for a swim: biked over the bridge, swam, walked back. Nine a.m. sunshine over English Bay.


When I got home I did my usual post-swim lolling around, but decided that I had to go out and enjoy the sunshine, so I took a bus to my old (really old, like 1970) stomping grounds.

The Dunbar Theatre is my childhood cinema. I saw such classics as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World here, and a Carry On movie, I am sure. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this is where I saw Star Wars in 1977, but opinions vary. Looking good! The library is just north of here, still much the same as well.


Next stop was the park. The community centre is still there, of course, where I took drama class and cooking class and who knows what. And the park is still parklike, although the playground has, thankfully, been modernized. We had metal monkey bars on a concrete playground in my day.


The great thing about this park is the woods! I'm surprised no safety-conscious city politicians have got their hands on them. There are trees with paths and grass, and then there are wilder bits where it looks like people have camped and had a wee fire. All in a couple of city blocks! 


I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this plant is Oregon Grape. Make me a yarn with all those colours in it!


The centre of the old neighbourhood is, of course, my old house. We moved from this house in 1976, I believe. And I think the person who bought it then (or their family) must still own it. No one has done anything to it! Look at those ancient window frames. And all that overgrown garden! My father would be turning in his grave, as they say. (You can always click to embiggen if you really want to see those window frames!)


I was poking around and saw a woman in the back yard attempting to hack through the undergrowth, and so I asked her if she lived there. She had just moved in and was hoping for a vegetable garden, so was clearing a spot. She said she thought she had found a brick patio, and I said, yes, there was a brick patio... The tree we had a treehouse in had come down, as had a lovely dogwood tree. Things happen in almost 45 years.

But, our playhouse, circa 1967, is still there! Somewhat rundown. (I wish I had moved that blackberry vine for the photo!)


So, a tad disappointing, all in all. That poor woman will have her work cut out for her, tackling the yard. I hope she can make enough of a dent to have her little garden. She said it was cheap rent, but there are about eight people living in the house, so someone is still making a bundle.


Coffee and a lemon tart and home again.

Maybe some rainy day I will make that to-do list.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Disappointing about the house, eh? I was glad to see the playhouse, though.
    I wonder if you saw Star Wars in a theatre in Kerrisdale? You saw Born Free at the Dunbar theatre. I know that because I took you. You cried when you were sad, and when you were happy, so it was a teary movie. : - )
    Thanks for the tour. Love, Me

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.