Sunday, January 01, 2006

A breath of fresh air

After last week's exertions on the Olympic training front, I needed to get out and about on the weekend. Lucky for us, Saturday was clear and beautiful, and we took the bikes out along the river to The Bridge near Waterbeach.

On the way we got to see a boat race, men's eights in what they call a head-to-head. The river is too narrow for the boats to race beside each other, so there's just a long line of them, one after the other. Elaine and I on our three-wheeler raced alongside one boat for a while -- they go pretty darn fast! A lot of the teams have women coxes, but the one we were neck-and-neck with had a guy with a very loud voice, urging us all on. We sure needed fueling up when we got to the pub!

Another picture of pretty branches and sky and stuff.


And in training news, I think that Bob, or is it Dick, will win his bet and I will knit a pullover vest in the round. This not only gets rid of pesky buttons and buttonholes and buttonbands, which are my nemesis, but also will make it impossible for me to turn it into a baby blanket, as suggested by Dick, or was it Bob. I'll just have to deal with armholes and a neck.

I've done Arthur's Weasley back and am working on a sleeve for Elaine's. In order to avoid sewing the sleeves in, I'm picking up the stitches and working down. Love it! Steadily decreasing rows make me happy.

And for those of you with dreams of making a Starmore sweater or 20, check out this! Too bad I learned about it at the last minute... actually, too bad I don't have a few thousand dollars of yarn money in my pocket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.