Monday, January 16, 2006

Pandering to the masses

Well, it seems that what you folks want is pillar boxes, so pillar boxes you shall have.

This was taken on our trip to Norwich over New Years. Elaine in her crown, with her baguette, which we carried around all day and which she eventually ate in its entirety, standing by a George VI box right outside the walls of the cathedral.

And this one was in Salisbury. That funny spike on top used to hold a sign, I think, like one you can see here. Funny, the one in that picture is Edward VIII, the holy grail of pillar boxes. They are rare because Edward VIII was king for a very short period of time.

And imagine my pique (okay, embarassed rage!) when I found this picture! Excuse me, this is in Tobermory?! Where I was in August??? How come I walked right past it???? Urgh!

Now I feel extra bad about another pair of pillar boxes I didn't photograph in Norwich. They were across the street from us, and the rest of my family was heading off down a hill, and instead of flinging myself into traffic in a strange town, separating myself from my loved ones to get a look at the pillar boxes, I followed the rest down the hill... Hoo boy, if I learn that one is Edward VIII....

1 comment:

  1. I love the pillar boxes - I'm trying to think of very British things to send pics of to my secret pal - pillar boxes are on my list.

    Oh, and I'm tagging you - please ignore it if you hate that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.