Sunday, January 01, 2006

Oh, dear, look at this!

Ahem. Well. No such thing as surplus wool, eh? Here's the story. I have been reading Lisa's blog, Knitting Up A Storm, for a while, watching as she tries to get her stash down to 200 balls. 200 balls! I thought this was extreme, to say the least. Who needs 200 balls of yarn at once?? However, I now realize that any knitter will have 200 balls... I came here 6 months ago with enough yarn to finish Stephen's orange sweater (I still have most of a 100-g ball left) and Elaine's pink cardie (a ball and a half left over) and the gigantic Sweater that Makes Me Sneeze (um, 20 balls and bits of balls!), and that's about it. Oh, a ball of sock yarn, too.
Anyhooo, now I have 109 balls of yarn in the house!! How did that happen!? When am I going to knit it all up!? In 6 months I have to fly it all over the ocean again, so I'd much rather take finished objects than loose wool. (But as we can see, it does all fit in one big duffel bag!) I have projects lined up, but it looks like I have to knit a ball every couple of days to work through it... Hoo boy. I guess that's a New Year's Resolution, to buy less and finish more... I'll get those Weasley sweaters done in no time....

We spent New Year's Eve at the dining room table with crackers and cheese and Monopoly! Arthur cleaned up again, knocking out me first, and then Stephen. A house or two in just the right place really does the trick! Elaine quietly read the rule book and played with the hotels.

There were some trips made out to the Common to see if there were fireworks, but although people were setting them off somewhere, and booms were heard, there wasn't much to see. I think most of the residents of our little street were snoring in their beds at midnight. Our game ended at just about 12, and we toddled off to bed shortly after.

And we'll end with a picture of my new favourite skein of yarn, some Debbie Bliss Maya, which I will use wisely! Ain't it lovely?

All the best to everyone in 2006!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, I think I must have at least 1000 balls of yarn at home. I only re-started knitting in earnest last Easter! In my defence, it's been a stressful year - and my response to each stress? Buy yarn! Bored? Buy yarn! Waiting for the house purchase to go through? Buy yarn! Unbelievably good sale prices on discontinued colours? Buy yarn!! NOW!!! Um, yeah. Buy less, knit more.

    **ahem**

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous colours of the Debbie Bliss!! wow! like a painting of the sunrise over Victoria this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See how fast it all adds up? I was quite shocked myself when I did the original count.

    I was almost at the under 200, but in the last two months my dear husband has bougt me about 30 balls of yarn, so my goal is now out the window.

    Not such a bad goal to give up, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.