Thursday, June 01, 2006

I've got the blues, and a brand new bag

Some of you may remember my denim bag. It is a fine bag, but it has no handles just yet. I have a plan for those, though. And it was going to be lined -- with blue jeans, so there'd be all those cool pockets. I bought a pair of cool Gap jeans in the charity shop, and the waist is about the same size as the opening of the bag, but several things have occurred to me upon studying the situation.

1) The bag is straight across the top, and these jeans are lower in the front than the back.
2) The bag has straight sides (really!), and these jeans have more fabric for the bum part than for the front. And hips!
3) Any of this would involve sewing tough denim fabric, and I don't have a sewing machine and I don't really want to do it by hand!

See the brick pattern on the bag? It's actually all over, even in the one-colour parts. I thought this would make the fabric sturdier, and perhaps I could do without the lining.
This is my present plan: Cut denim rings from the legs, calimari-like. Cut 'em, and voila, handles. Hem the edges (I can handle that much by hand, perhaps). Knit ad nauseam small tubes to surround the fabric handles, shrink 'em, sew to bag. Hope it'll work without a lining.

You might have figured out by now that I am full of great ideas, which often fall by the wayside. So I'll tell you right here, that once I finish the wrap, which'll be any day now, this will come front and centre. Along with 2 pairs of socks... Really...


And for blue month, some flowers (taken several weeks ago, but what the heck!)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good idea, the bag will look great when it's done. I have an unfinished jeans project too, I decided to deconstruct an old pair of my husbands jeans to make an apron for myself, I thought it would be great for gardening what with all those pockets... Like you as the project progressed I came up against more and more problems, it has been lurking in a basket under the bed for well over a year now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the expression "calamari-like".

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.