Tuesday, November 04, 2008

It's November 4th

Well, I certainly have something to say today, at least to my American readers:

VOTE!

Eight years ago, we lived in Austin, TX, home of then governor Bush. Elaine was a baby and Arthur was three. We went to a friend's house and watched the results come in, then took the little ones home, once Florida was called for Gore and all seemed safe. Stephen went downtown to watch Bush concede... and with a load of other people stood around by the governor's mansion and the state legislature building till the wee hours of the morning, but nothing happened! Finally it started raining and everyone went home. And then great sagas unfolded.... (Wikipedia does note that the neutrality of that article is questionable.)

Four years ago, we went to a friend's house to watch the results, but it turned out their TV service wasn't very good. Lucky for us, the people there were all big nerds, who just hauled out their laptops and hooked into the wireless network. We had all the big news outlets, and we had way too many cosmopolitans to drown our sorrows. Remember how badly people felt? (Wow, they even made a book!)

So tonight, I'm going out with more nerds, naturally -- and I'm taking my knitting, naturally -- and I hope we're not drowning our sorrows again. I really really really really hope so.


I think this is the only picture I have of an American flag. It was taken a year ago yesterday (!) in Grand Central Station in New York.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.