Wednesday, November 19, 2008

One day a week for UFOs

I've joined a group on Ravelry called One Day a Week for UFOs. You pick a day on which to work on UFOs, so you don't feel like you're abandoning your "real" projects, yet you get something done on those old things in bags in the closet.

This thing has been in a bag for a long long time!

I started these squares in England in 2005!

All sewn together in February of this year.

And today I picked up stitches along one side and will knit a bit of garter stitch, before tackling another side... and another.... and another! (Don't ask how much time it took for me to find a 4mm circular needle!)

I toyed with various other edging ideas.

My recent adventures with crochet, though marvellously quick and efficient, made me realise that my crochet is not good enough for this job. I thought of a knitted-on edge, which I've done before and like, but the idea of flipping this thing every 12 or 15 stitches, all around 4 corners and all, just didn't appeal either. I could knit the border and then sew it on, but that seems like making one job into two, and that wasn't going to work!

So, despite the fact that some squares have their cast-on edges out, some have their cast-off edges out and some their sides, I picked up an approximately correct number of stitches on each square and will make a garter stitch edge with a bunch of the colours in the blanket.

How many Wednesdays will it take??

2 comments:

  1. oh my another stunning blanket. Each square is worthy of study. Please post a photo when you have finished edging.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that blanket!!! looks great!

    sue

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.