Thursday, January 13, 2022

Knitting and muffins

I continue to make my thingamabob. It is a mosaic knitting pattern, so I knit dark blue and slip the white for two rows, knit the white on the next two rows and slip the dark blue. It's quite fun, but of course one can mess up the pattern if not paying attention.


I did not take a picture, but I did once get distracted and make a mistake, think it wouldn't be too bad, continue knitting, realize it really was that bad, rip out several rows. 

It was just after the change from white to light blue, and I had found a knot in the yarn, right in the middle of the row! Since I am too lazy to rip out half a row, I just cut the knot and carried on. But when I got to the end of the row, there was another knot! So I unwound all the rest of the ball, found two more knots, and we were all in time-out for a day or two. 

When I got back to it, I reknit the last row, so my diamond pattern was off and it actually looked terrible. 

Now I believe I am on my way to having a perfect thing, though the second half might be shorter than the first if I run out of the pale blue yarn, losing so much at the changes between the bits. We shall see. Curses on Martha Stewart and her cotton/hemp, now discontinued, yarn. 

Tom Jones coaster for scale

I hope to make a side dish from Moosewood Cooks at Home today, but this morning I whipped up a batch of muffins from this year's Milk Calendar. If you scroll down to page 3 on that link, you will find them, before January's page. 

They are peach and prosciutto muffins! I used a few slices of bacon and frozen peaches, and subbed 3/4 of a cup of whole wheat flour for some of the white. Good! Certainly not sweet but enough of a treat. 

I am not sure what our usual Toronto January weather is any more, but it has been overcast and about 0ยบ for a while, and I am tired of it. One wonders how I'll manage in a Vancouver winter, but right now I am sick of the darkness. Bring on -5 and clear blue skies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.