Saturday, January 15, 2022

Neighbourhood arches

I knew there were arches on houses in my neighbourhood, so I went out the other day in search of actual architectural arches, and not just semicircular forms. 

These were once described as an "only in Toronto" phenomenon, the upside-down arch on the porch. I think the style is used elsewhere, or was. I think it might have been popular in the 1970s or 80s, but I don't really know. It does seem that there used to be more of them. 


An arched porch added to this house, I think. 


A straight-line house with an arched window. There might be a Juliet balcony there? 


Teeny little house with an upside-down arch. 


More straight lines, with a tiny, yet emphasized arch on one window. 


I got a new app to arrange photos in cute configurations, so here you go: five neighbourhood arches. 


These arches are all very fine, but I did feel the need for more grand structures, for arches which actually hold things up. So I went on a quest, which I will show you next time!

Meanwhile, I did finish my mat. 


I didn't run out of the pale blue, but I was worried about the brighter blue. I might have been able to get another two rows out of this, but I don't really think so. 


All's well that ends well. I liked doing this, but the yarn was disappointing. 

What will my next project be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.