Monday, January 17, 2022

Yet more arches

Last time I told you that I went in search of more impressive arches. I went to the university a few days ago when the sun was shining. 

Today looks like this: 


I'd say a foot of snow already and several hours of this still to come. I have got the bread machine going and my soup recipe all ready to go. 

So let's look at pictures of a sunny day!


No arches here. This is the new glass and steel addition to the University of Toronto's brutalist library, Fort Book. Really called the Robarts Library! 



When I was a student here the main entrance was on the fourth floor. If you needed assistance, I'm sure it was available, but the expectation was that everyone would walk up the outside concrete stairs to get in. 


There was a ramp, but it was super steep, with hairpin turns, so probably not very useful! Since then they have changed everything around and the main door is on the ground level. I'm sure the architect is sad about that. 

An arch into a courtyard, through residences

University College

The old colleges try to look English

Or perhaps Italian

This is the biggest, fanciest, ornate-est, most tourist-friendly arch around. Bus tours used to come into the university and park right about here. (Now the field opposite is a construction site as they make a geothermal heating plant and giant underground parking lot.)



Nest stop: Hart House. The student services building, with reading rooms and gyms and a theatre. There is now a plaque in the women's changing room saying that women weren't even allowed in the building until the 1970s, except for one room, in the late afternoon. 


An arch in the basement. Lucky for me it was open and I was able to go in to find a loo. Because of covid, I had to register, say I was vaxxed, say I had no symptoms, etc etc. There were a few people around, but not many. 


The way out. 

 
And that is your arch post for today! I'll just look at the snow some more here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.