Friday, January 21, 2022

Two more recipes

Yes, I said the last post would be the final recipe for the month, but I forgot that I have two absolutely go-to favourite recipes in Moosewood Cooks at Home. 

One is, serendipitously, a recipe from my early childhood. My aunt sent my mom a copy of this cake recipe in, perhaps, 1967. My cousin Timothy, or Timmy, or, as he likes to call himself these days, Tim, was having a moment of enjoying cooking chocolate cake. This batter can be mixed in the pan, there are no eggs or cream or weird ingredients, no mixer needed, so, perfect for a kid to mix up. We always called it Timmy cake and it was a staple birthday cake for decades. 

As you can see, this page has been heavily used. There may have been a catastrophe with some cocoa powder at some stage. 


We like it with whipped cream and some berries, or ice cream, or icing, but I have never made the glaze they recommend. We also often make cupcakes.

The other simply essential recipe is the Caesar Salad Dressing. It is so much better than anything you get in a bottle and it makes the salad maker a star at any event. As you can see here I have some quibbles with amounts... specifically I say one needs more garlic! I originally liked to use only one egg, but I have learnt that, in fact, two eggs is better. 


The little hand-blender whips this up in no time, if you have remembered to hard-cook an egg or two. I like to make my salad with romaine, croutons, parmesan, and often anchovies. 

Now I really think we are done with this book. For now!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.