Tuesday, November 09, 2010

And now for something completely different

I started out today to clear out the drawer of hats and mitts and scarves. It is overflowing and there must be something in there we don't use much. I came across a hat I made a few years ago, which I never wore.

Recycled sari silk! Very pretty, bazillions of colours, hairy, thready, bitsy stuff. However, it has no stretch at all, and a hat of it is a ridiculous thing that just sits on your head with no snugness at all.

Taking this knitting out would also be ridiculous -- the hairiness of it holds all the stitches together; there are thick and thin bits and extra threads all over the place. I managed to cut a thread at the top of the hat and, with some swearing and sweating, I got a row or two tinked out. I think there might still be a decrease row left here, but when I got enough yarn freed up, I just cast off the lot and we'll call it a cowl.


That took an hour or two, and the drawer is still as overflowing as ever.

4 comments:

  1. It's very pretty. Can you get it over your head?

    Maybe you could steek it and add some material and make it into a belt. It is too lovely to sit in a drawer. (No, I do not have any fashion sense.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mamma3Monkeys12/11/2010, 19:35

    I purchased some of this yarn a while ago and have since wondered what I could do about it. It was a result of a google search for this specific yarn that I came across your site and I really appreciate knowing what you thought of using it in this particular manner. I'm still mulling around what to do with this. I only got 3 100 gram balls from ebay. Not a lot to do with that small amount. Someone else noted that larger stitches led to a TON more shedding, so there really are some limitations to this beautiful yarn. Anyways, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mamma3Monkeys,
    The yarn is very heavy -- a whole sweater of this would weigh a ton! I've seen nice bags made of it, which would be especially good if you were clever and lined it with fabric. Three balls could make a really nice wrap/shawl, I think. Plain stocking stitch shows the colours off so nicely, so I wouldn't bother with anything too fancy!

    I know you have to give your e-mail address when you leave a comment, but blogger doesn't show it to me, so I can't e-mail you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh - what a clever woman you are!
    that will make a gorgeous cowl!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.