Saturday, November 06, 2021

November 6

Today all I took pictures of was my little cousin-ette. I believe she is my first cousin twice removed. My cousin's granddaughter. Anyways, cute as a button but perhaps I should not put pictures of her cutie-pie face on the interwebs without her parents' permission. 

We met them for lunch, except that several things happened to our original plan. The place we chose, the Mighty Oak, only had a couple of outside tables and nothing inside. Stephen and I got there early and had a coffee, and it started to rain. My first cousin once removed, let's call her Joanna, texted that they were still half an hour away, so we searched for another place where we could eat out of the rain. 

That part of Vancouver is on the east side, far from where I grew up, and I never went there as a kid. My parents were happy to have started out in the east and been able to move westward. But, the houses there are quintessential Vancouver and the gentrification has been slower coming. So, lovely! Of course, still basically housing for millionaires, but to my eyes, previously unknown charm. 

Oh, I found a non-baby picture: Vancouver will curve the sidewalk to go around a big tree. Toronto just cuts the tree down. 


We found a craft brewpub that had a nice looking menu, so we arranged to meet there. After a fine brunch, during which Cutie-Face ate my quite salty fries and a bit of her mom's food, we came downtown to our place where we learned that our home was no longer "child-friendly." Laptops and light fixtures in reach of little hands, stuff like that! Time for a cup of tea and a diaper change and we were off to the park, where there were swings and puddles to enjoy. 

As the day was coming to an end, nap-time imminent, thunder booming over the water, we got back to Joanna's car and were struggling to get the stroller in the trunk and the kid in the carseat, it started to hail. 

It was lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.