Wednesday, November 13, 2019

More seaside

On our second day in Cromer we walked west.

I am used to beaches, I have seen lots of rocks and tides and waves. But this might have been my first flinty, chalky, "completely concerned with erosion" beach experience.

The cliffs are chalk overlaid with sandy dunes. Once the chalk starts to crumble, the sand tumbles down. We saw caravan parks on top of the cliffs, and occasionally a concrete pad halfway down the slope. Fences had been made, but now some of their posts have nothing to stick into. The coastal path takes several detours because parts have fallen away.


Bit of a mudslide
On the Cromer beach there are groins heading out to sea, stopping, I suppose, the sand from progressing down the shore. On this beach there was also a fence parallel to the shore, made of wood and metal and a bit of concrete, and I guess it was to stop the waves crashing on shore and eroding the cliffs.

It was an impressive structure, but falling to bits itself now, with bolts holding nothing in place.


The flint rocks form in the chalk, and then fall out, covering the beach. We were told we could find fossils on this stretch, but no luck!



We walked to Sheringham and took the train back. It is just four miles, but we couldn't walk back along the beach as the tide was coming back in. There is a nice walk inland, but we had had enough, and after a Sunday Roast lunch in the Two Lifeboats, the train seemed the best option.

Coming back to our B&B from the train station, we passed this little church.


Flint and brick and terra cotta and some white capitals just because!


It was a crazy-looking building, in need of some care.


Pretty fancy.


I like the terra cotta and flint and all the doodads.


And that was our weekend in Cromer. I'd like to learn more about the erosion and how that will all progress. I wonder when they built the structures on the beach and if they are at all effective! I want to find a dinosaur bone on the beach. So I guess I will have to go back!

1 comment:

  1. All very interesting. I think Hasting has the opposite problem, where Hastings used to be on the coast, but is now inland quite a bit. Is that right?
    Did you go back to the train station and find your bike, or is that still to come? I still have a couple of days to read, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.