Friday, November 15, 2019

That was fun

It's always a treat to go to London! I met up with my friend and we did a wander through the British Museum, getting distracted and ending up in Korean pottery when we'd set out for the Elgin Marbles.


We went to see clocks, because I remember going to see them in maybe 1972. This wooden case was amazing!


There was a volunteer in the coins room telling us about all sorts of coins through history. What a bonus!

If you are the British Museum you can find the very best example of a certain coin and just put the one out, unlike many smaller places that try to impress with the large number of crappy ones they have. This Athenian "owl" coin is perfect and impressive all on its own!


The Lewis Chessmen looking splendid.


Those Korean pots we stumbled across.


So modern looking, yet some are 400 years old.


Ah, the Elgin Marbles!


My friend lives in Walthamstow, sort of in the northeast corner of the London sprawl. I got to ride on an Overground train, for one stop.


William Morris spent some of his life in Walthamstow as well, and his family's house there is a little museum. It was lovely, but very dark for photos. Imagine a sample book of fabrics from his shop! I could see it, but of course not flip through it! I did buy a tote bag... which I need like a hole in the head but whatever.

A quick walk down the High Street this morning, looking at fabric stores, and back on the train for me.



Delighted to see this ridiculous tree at the Cambridge Station. It wants to be a big old redwood in California that someone cut a hole in in 1941.


And now I am home alone for 24 hours, and I have restarted my Netflix subscription and am having yogurt and muesli for supper. Fun times!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos in the museum. The owl coin was beautiful, for sure. And the fabrics on the high street were lovely, too.
    I think I've seen your friend's part of London on escape to the Country, because I've actually heard of it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.