Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Muffin Monday on a Tuesday

Once upon a time I was working my way through my muffin recipe book. I guess that ball got dropped along the way, but today I made some muffins so, here we are. 


These are orange-pineapple! My family thinks that's a bit odd, so clearly I haven't made these enough in the past. 

They also have All-Bran flakes in them. I was worried about the flakiness of them, but they turn to mush in orange juice, so one hardly notices them. 

See the little bits of pineapple? 

Here's the recipe, from Muffins by Joan and Marilyn, best yard sale score ever. 

Orange Pineapple Muffins

1/2 cup all-bran cereal
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup shortening (I used margarine)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1.75 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1 cup drained crushed pineapple

In a small bowl, mix cereal and orange juice.
In large bowl, beat shortening and sugar. Add egg and beat until light. 
Sift in dry ingredients alternately with milk and bran mixture.
Stir in crushed pineapple.
Fill 12 muffin cups. 

Bake at 400ºF for 20 minutes.

I like them! They are a bit cakey, not dense and "healthy" textured, but quite tasty. 

A week or so ago, I also made muffins! These are whole-wheat applesauce muffins, and I threw in half a cup of chocolate chips in an obvious bid to get my (grown-up) kids to eat them. 


Of course, it worked and they are all gone. 

Whole Wheat Applesauce

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 or 2 eggs
2/3 cup applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

In small bowl mix all wet ingredients. 
In large bowl combine all dry ingredients.
Add wet to dry, stir just until blended.
Fill 12 muffin cups and bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes. 

I have more cooking to do today, as someone took a large rump roast out of the freezer yesterday. Since it'll go in the oven for several hours, I'd best get on with that! 

I hope that tomorrow we all wake up in a non-Trump world, but I am worried about it all. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.