Sunday, November 22, 2020

Age-old mystery solved, perhaps

Today on Twitter, I saw a note about a talk on Victorian toilets, that soon became a thread about Victorian men peeing in alleyways. That led to a blog post about urine deflectors and ways of stopping men from stinking up your street. And there I saw something that reminded me of two things I posted back in the day. 

Here is our hero in London at St Paul's Cathedral in 2006. 

And here are mystery spikes at Gonville and Caius College in Cambridge. 

If you were looking for a place to discretely relieve yourself, these would not be very convenient corners. You'd have to stand out more in the open; best to move along to another alley altogether. It makes sense, I think! I'd say mystery solved. 

In other news, it is snowing! Snowing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.