Friday, November 16, 2018

A tale of pride going before the fall

Did you know that the actual quote is "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." It's from the King James bible. It means, I assume, "Read the fricking pattern before you just keep knitting when it's obvious you are making a mistake, dumbass!"

There is, apparently, only one place in the Clapotis pattern where anything at all could go wrong. It says, "k this and foll st tbl." Knit this and following stitch through the back loops. Not "knit 2 together" at all. Actually, what I was doing was slip, slip, knit. In any case, decreasing a stitch. Because I looked at the pattern when I started, and then just, la-de-da, did whatever popped into my head as I went along. 

I knew I was off, because the dropped stitches and the increases on the other end of the row kept getting out of sync. 

How could the pattern be wrong when 25,000 people had successfully made this scarf? Am I the only one who noticed this discrepancy in the pattern? Because I surely can't be doing anything wrong....



"This doesn't seem to stretch out as wide as it should." 

That's because you don't have as many stitches as you used to! 

It is still a functional scarf, and so colourful and light and warm. Let's just pretend that I wanted that gentle, asymmetrical decrease.

1 comment:

  1. Looks kinda like a Grecian Amphora scarf. :- ) Well if it still works, who cares,eh? You have created a unique scarf - so there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.