Tuesday, November 06, 2018

More distraction

I told you about my trip to the (closed) yarn store the other day. Well, I persevered and went back the next day to get some yarn.

I wanted sort of golden, to match my jacket. But things were too yellow or too orange (or too expensive).

So, surprise, surprise, I got green!

As well as matching my jacket, it had to match some laceweight yarn I've had for about 8 years.


I am making a brioche kitty hat, a variation on the ever-popular pussyhat. You knit it in the round, holding two yarns together -- every other row! So you get a two-colour-brioche effect without all the palaver that goes into that.

The brim is worked with both yarns on all rows, and then the fun begins. So it is green on the front, with the other colour peeking through.


The back (or inside of the hat) has the second colour all the way. 


I think I am a pretty hotshot knitter. But lemme tell you, I have made more mistakes in this than I like to think about... Part of it is not really having excellent instructions on how to get from Round 1 to Round 2, but that has been fudged and I think that, after the initial confusion, it will be fine. Part of it is occasionally not catching the laceweight in the stitch, and having a bit loose on the back. How the heck does one drop down a row or two to fix a mistake below without messing up the brioche yarnovers and all that? (Of course there are youtube videos, but I just carry on, silently cursing.)

I hope to be distracted by this for only a couple of days, and then get back to the Christmas knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.